At approximately 5:42 p.m., on Friday, August 14, 2020, Colonial Pipeline responded to a report of a product release near our gasoline pipeline in the area of Huntersville, North Carolina. Upon notification, the pipeline was shut down and crews were dispatched to the site.
The pipeline remains shut down at this time while Colonial crews, in conjunction with first responders from the Huntersville Fire Department and Huntersville Police Department, work together on this coordinated response. Our primary focus is maintaining the safety of responders and the public, and the protection of the environment.
The following summarizes key response activities at this time:
- Notifications have been made to local, state and federal agencies, per Colonial’s response procedure and regulatory requirements.
- Crews are onsite and are actively working to control and monitor the source so that clean-up and repairs can begin, as needed.
- The Huntersville Fire Department is onsite to assist Colonial.
- The Huntersville Police Department is onsite securing the site and providing traffic control.
- Colonial has worked with the Huntersville Police Department to establish a road closure along Huntersville-Concord Road between Lawther Road and Asbury Chapel Road, and temporary traffic detours around the work site via Glendale Drive.
- Colonial is working with the Huntersville Police Department and local residents to maintain local access to residences impacted by the road closure.
- Air monitoring has been set up by Colonial. Air quality in the surrounding area has been deemed safe, and monitoring will continue.
- Colonial is collaborating with local agencies as we work together to protect the safety of all and the local environment.
Additional updates will be posted to the Colonial website at https://sr2448.colonialresponse.com as new information becomes available. All future notices regarding this situation will be posted to this site.
About Colonial Pipeline: Colonial Pipeline Company, founded in 1962, connects refineries – primarily located in the Gulf Coast – with customers and markets throughout the Southern and Eastern United States through a pipeline system that spans more than 5,500 miles. The company delivers refined petroleum products such as gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, home heating oil, and fuel for the U.S. Military. Colonial is committed to safety and environmental stewardship across its operations. More information about Colonial is available at www.colpipe.com.
# # #